I simply love this sponge cake recipe… It turns out perfectly for me everytime. My family is always requesting I bake one of these everytime a birthday come around.
This is a super light and fluffy sponge… it goes perfectly with strawberries and cream.
Before you start: My mum passed on her secret for a perfect sponge when I first attempted one a few years ago. She told me “You should ALWAYS start with all your ingredients at room temperature’…
Also, ‘You should ALWAYS pre-heat your oven a little hotter than the recommended temperature, so when you open the door it won’t drop lower than what you need. Once the cake is in the oven just wind it back to the needed temperature’
What You Need…
- 4 Eggs, Separate the egg yolks and whites.
- 3/4 cup Castor sugar
- 2 tablespoons Self-Raising Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Custard Powder
- 3/4 cup Cornflour
- 1/2 teaspoon bi-carbonate soda
- 1 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- Beat Egg whites until stiff
- Gradually add castor sugar
- Add Egg yolks one at a time
- Sift all dry ingredients 3 times (the Self-raising flour, Custard Powder, Cornflour, Bi-carbonate soda, and Cream of tartar)
- Then combine these dry ingredients with the rest of the mixture.
- Pour mixture into two equally sized cake tins to form the two halves of the sponge
- Bake in moderate oven (180C) for 20-25minutes
I usually serve this cake iced, with strawberries on top, and cream between the two layers… but there are so many other combinations you can try, so have fun experimenting!
Buon Appetito, xx Jessa