These little pastries are a little fiddly to make… however they are certainly worth it as they are very delicious.
What you need…
For the filling:
- 2 cooking apples, cut into small cubes
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
For the pastry:
- 375 grams plain flour
- 200 grams butter
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 125 grams caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- icing sugar
What you do…
- Pre-heat oven to 175°C
- Sift flour into a bowl, combine with caster sugar and rub in the butter.
- Add lemon zest and egg.
- Mix the dough until all combined
- Wrap in gladwrap and chill dough for 30minutes in the fridge
- Roll out the dough to 3mm thick and cut into 7-8cm squares.
- Place a small amount of apple, and a pinch of sugar and cinnamon inside the square.
- Fold each corner into the centre and press to seal.
- Brush the squares with egg white (or you can use milk) and sprinkle with sugar
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool
- Drip icing across the top of each little pastry… and enjoy 🙂