125g butter, softened
100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
190g (1 1/4 cups) self-raising flour
Plain flour, to dust
115g (1/3 cup) strawberry or raspberry jam
1) Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
2) Use an electric beater to beat the butter, sugar and vanilla essence in a medium bowl until pale and creamy. Add the egg and beat until combined. Sift flour over the butter mixture and stir until combined.
3) Use lightly floured hands to roll teaspoonfuls of mixture into balls. Place on the prepared trays, about 5cm apart.
4) Use a lightly floured finger to make an indentation in the centre of each ball. Spoon 1/2 tsp of jam into the centre of each biscuit.
5) Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until the biscuits are cooked through and light golden.